The Cost of Running Appliances in Your Home
What Are Your Appliances Costing You?
Singling out your appliances and evaluating energy use is the perfect way to decipher which appliances are costing you the most. It’s a simple, yet effective way to determine where you can be saving money and if solar power will be beneficial to your home.
It’s likely that each room in your home features an appliance or two, and you might be shocked to find out where your energy consumption is highest and lowest.
How to Calculate the Running Cost of Your Appliances
There are a few straightforward steps you can follow to calculate the cost of your household appliances. Complete the following:
- Determine how much you pay per unit of electricity. This varies depending on your chosen provider.
- Calculate the input power the appliance uses in kilowatts (kW). This is usually marked on the appliance itself or in the instruction manual.
- To estimate the running cost, simply multiply the input power by the price of your electricity per unit.
For example, if you’re paying 25 cents per kWh and your air conditioner has an input power of 3000 watts (3kW), your equation would look like this – 3kW x 25c per kWh = 75 cents per hour.
Tips for Reducing Energy Consumption
- When purchasing new appliances, be sure to review the energy and water rating labels when making your decision.
- Turn your TV off at the wall when you’re not watching. The energy consumed during standby mode can add up!
- Save dishwasher and washing machine loads for peak solar hours if you have solar power.
Contact us for a free consultation
Once it’s clear where energy consumption is highest in your home, you can start to understand whether solar power would be beneficial for you. Are some of your highest consuming appliances used during peak solar hours? Would the cost of your power bill reduce significantly if your fridge and freezer were able to run off renewable energy for a large portion of the day?
If you need more information or you’d like to speak to one of our expert team members, get in touch today. We can provide assistance with eco-improvements for your home, as well as all solar installation and maintenance enquiries.